Hello, welcome to my blog

Mostly you will find, here, transcribed entries from the secret diary that I used to keep as a teenager between 1970 and 1975. I try to be honest with my transcriptions, but, just occasionally I do edit, to protect myself or others from embarrassment or some other emotion.
Also, though, I like to do a brief review of the books I have been reading, so these are interspersed throughout. I reserve the right to write blog entries, also, about other random things.
Why do I keep this blog? I don't know. I am an academic and one of my research interests is around how people construct their own identities. The diary transcriptions, and what I write about my books, are very much about revealing something of my identity.

Monday 20 July 2015

Margaret Atwood - just finished reading....

The Edible Woman (1969)
by
Margaret Atwood

5/10


I used to read a lot of the Virago Press fiction, being a feminist.
I found this  book a bit strange - I'm sure that is what Margaret Atwood intended. It is a book about a woman who is struggling with the roles that are expected of a women in the late 1960s. Specifically, she can't work out what her attitudes are towards conventional marriage, with husband as bread-winner, little wifey in the respectable home having respectable babies, playing hostess to respectable, witty, charming friends. In order to gain all this she must give up her work as a market researcher. She doesn't even enjoy this role much.
She converts her ambivalence towards relationships and marriage into a problem with food, and progressively (and literally) cannot stomach more and more types of food. She loses weight, becomes anorexic, although the condition isn't named. She has a bizaree flat-mate, a bizarre lover and some weird work-colleagues.
I do like a book where I can believe in the characters, and like at least one of them, so I struggled with this. BUT, I admire Atwood for this early exploration of the impossibility of woman's position in a world where she is oppressed. Still.

No comments:

Post a Comment