Hello, welcome to my blog

Mostly you will find, here, transcribed entries from the secret diary that I used to keep as a teenager between 1970 and 1975. I try to be honest with my transcriptions, but, just occasionally I do edit, to protect myself or others from embarrassment or some other emotion.
Also, though, I like to do a brief review of the books I have been reading, so these are interspersed throughout. I reserve the right to write blog entries, also, about other random things.
Why do I keep this blog? I don't know. I am an academic and one of my research interests is around how people construct their own identities. The diary transcriptions, and what I write about my books, are very much about revealing something of my identity.

Friday 8 August 2014

Anita Shreve - just finished reading .....

Strange Fits of Passion by Anita Shreve

9/10


Because of the research philosophy that I have adopted in some of my research, I regard truth to be an elusive thing.

Each person sees an incident and then gives an account of it. Each account will be different. Why? Because there is no single truth. Each person sees from a different angle and sees details that another doesn't see, is more alert to some aspects than others. Each person has different motives for what they say. Each person has different perceptions based on who they are, what their lives have been like, what their day has been like. Each person, in the telling of their tale, will tell it differently because of the way they interact with the person they are telling, and also, of course, the audience (the listener) will hear it differently than it was told and will change it when they recount it.

This is really what Anita Shreve's book is about. It is a fascinating multi-voiced account of how a woman comes to kill a man. We try to understand her story from the accounts she gives to a journalist. We try to understand the sense that the journalist makes of her account, and those of witnesses and by-standers. We try to understand how the woman's daughter will attempt to understand the accounts that she receives, years later.

Anita Shreve even makes us look at out relationships and wonder - what is the truth of what is happening here? How much are any of us responsible for situations we find ourselves in?

She situates the story in 1971, when values, laws and the relationships between men and women were seen differently, and so I can't but help think about the recent historic sex-abuse cases that  have been brought by women who say that, as teenagers and girls, they were sexually abused by older men.

Anita Shreve is a brilliant writer who writes deceptively easy stories, which have depths and breadth worth exploring. And all her books are connected in some way, through places and events - though I haven't worked them all out yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment