Hello, welcome to my blog

Mostly you will find, here, transcribed entries from the secret diary that I used to keep as a teenager between 1970 and 1975. I try to be honest with my transcriptions, but, just occasionally I do edit, to protect myself or others from embarrassment or some other emotion.
Also, though, I like to do a brief review of the books I have been reading, so these are interspersed throughout. I reserve the right to write blog entries, also, about other random things.
Why do I keep this blog? I don't know. I am an academic and one of my research interests is around how people construct their own identities. The diary transcriptions, and what I write about my books, are very much about revealing something of my identity.

Saturday 9 August 2014

My secret teenage diary 1974 August (i) in which I go shopping a lot and take a foolish risk

Aug 1st (Thur)
Hey, got a bargain today - a maxi pinafore for £1.25 at Finigan's. It's lovely. Last day working at Hardcastle's today (weekdays, that is). That RAF bloke that Babs met on Tuesday met her after work. I told her I'm not going to the Rigby Club dance.

2nd
Last day at Hardcastles (except saturdays). Babs finished with RAF bloke last night. Out with Geoff tonight. he brought me a lovely Cupid back from Scotland. Nice evening.

3rd (Sat)
At work an old lady blessed me and said I'm made her day by smiling at her. That was beautiful. When I got home Norma and Phil were there, also Auntie May, Audrey, Sandra, Andrew etc. It was ok.

4th
Driving lesson with Dad round Bardsley, where it's quiet. I did okay. Out with G in Rochdale. I had to walk home from Oldham and a guy offered me a lift in his car and I accepted. I shouldn't have but he was okay.

5th
Into town with a great big shopping list and some money. Didn't get much. Purse and choccy for mum, knickers and braid for me. Braid to make a watch-band. More driving practice.

6th (Tues)
Did some patchwork and messing about. Ironing, vacuuming. Auntie Elsie came and implied it's time I got married. Wrote to Ju.

7th
Wish I were on holiday. Ju will have got letter today. Wonder what she thinks of it. Went to town for dad to pay mortgage and solicitor. Did yoga with Norma.

9th (Fri)
Went to town today and got a pattern for a trouser suit, some perfume (verbena) and some blue material for a blouse. Out with G at night. Met some friends of his, Barry and Lorraine, ok.

10th
Went to Manchester with G. Pouring down. Finally bought some shoes. Poor G was getting pretty impatient. Don't blame him. We had dinner there. Black shoes with high heels. Help.  At night went out with G and Lorraine and Barry, dancing. Not very good.

11th
G gets nicer all the time but sometimes I hate him. Norma had her handbag pinched - some money, key, cheque book. She's v upset. At a party last night. Auntie May, Uncle Herbert, Allan have been round.

12th
Stocktaking at work. Boring. Barbara gets on my nerves.

13th (Tues)
Got a cold. Norma has a cold too. No word from Julie.

16th
Still poorly with cold. Didn't go to work. Sewed new blouse a bit. Pale blue, long sleeves.


No comments:

Post a Comment