Hello, welcome to my blog

Mostly you will find, here, transcribed entries from the secret diary that I used to keep as a teenager between 1970 and 1975. I try to be honest with my transcriptions, but, just occasionally I do edit, to protect myself or others from embarrassment or some other emotion.
Also, though, I like to do a brief review of the books I have been reading, so these are interspersed throughout. I reserve the right to write blog entries, also, about other random things.
Why do I keep this blog? I don't know. I am an academic and one of my research interests is around how people construct their own identities. The diary transcriptions, and what I write about my books, are very much about revealing something of my identity.

Sunday 31 August 2014

My secret teenage diary 1974 August (ii) in which I am sulky and wonder if it's worth working for £2.06p a week.

August 17th (Sat)
I don't talk about Geoff much, do I S came to shop today and we went for coffee at dinner time. She said that she'd had a serious talk with J on the phone. J is going to write to me. Babs is on holiday, Miss Hoodless is okay today. Finished stock-taking. Cold is better, but I've got a cough.

18th
Auntie Emma visited. I retreated to my bedroom to tidy it. Driving practice with dad. It didn't go well. Not sure it will work, dad teaching me. Did some sewing.

19th
A nothing day, but Uncle Joe Taylor (dad's brother) had a stroke and he's in Boundary Park. She came round (Auntie Annie).

20th
Ju phoned and we all went out for a drink up Grains Bar, me, J,  and E. I'm frightened that we are all changing. No-one fitted in like we do at school. Maybe it's just me.

21st (Thur)
did some work for school- (Maths, Biol) not as much as I should have done. Maybe it's me that's changing. Logical.

22nd
Out with G - okay.

24th
Worked at Hardcastle's today. Feel down in the dumps. I'm going through a 'phase' I think. My character maybe changing.

25th (Sun)
Another wasted day. Norma's Phil was round. Uncle Joe is a lot better, I'm glad. Oh, what's wrong with me? Wrote letter to Rob

28th (Wed)
went into town with S and bought little pressy for F. F has finished with her fella and needed cheering up. Trying to round everyone up for a night out. S is going out. J is out with Paul. Me, C and S going out tomorrow.

29th
Went for a drink with C and S. bit miserable. Nice talk though. Glad I went

30th (Fri)
Went to Oldham and bought some material to make a jacket. Black linen. Bit morbid. Norma goes on hol with Phil this weekend. I'm jealous. Out with G.

31st
Worked. Not worth it really for £2.06p, but then I'm a fool. Michelle Hollamby's mum came in shop and recognised me! Went out with G but I was sulky. In an 'everybody hates Jackie' mood.


No comments:

Post a Comment