Hello, welcome to my blog

Mostly you will find, here, transcribed entries from the secret diary that I used to keep as a teenager between 1970 and 1975. I try to be honest with my transcriptions, but, just occasionally I do edit, to protect myself or others from embarrassment or some other emotion.
Also, though, I like to do a brief review of the books I have been reading, so these are interspersed throughout. I reserve the right to write blog entries, also, about other random things.
Why do I keep this blog? I don't know. I am an academic and one of my research interests is around how people construct their own identities. The diary transcriptions, and what I write about my books, are very much about revealing something of my identity.

Monday 4 August 2014

My secret teenage diary 1974 June (abridged) - in which I had to call the police, and I started being Head Girl.

June 1974
thematically, not chronologically, arranged, except for 1st June which is worth transcribing....

June 1st (Saturday)
A v eventful day. Not v nice day at work. Nasty women. Went home. Everyone nagged me so I ran upstairs crying. Norma comforted me. I love her. I love all my family lots. Then, on way to Geoff's encountered a drunk and a lady who had lost her little boy and wanted us to get the police. We did - quite exciting. I hope she found him.

School
My first month as Head Girl! Wendy became Deputy. Some of the jobs I had to do - collecting money, regularly for charity (I can't recall - did each form have a collection, and then I collated it all?) I noted on June 6th that we only collected £1.86. I also started to sort out the fiction library at school. My biggest problem was sorting  out a disorderly Lower Fifth form, who were causing chaos in the small dining room which I and the prefects had to manage each lunch time. I tackled it by having stern words with the 'ring-leaders'. They came back afterwards and apologised. Phew.
June at school was also, as always, dominated by revision and exams. There were tears, anxiety and panic.

Family
Aunty May gave me some fabric for my quilt. She is so generous and kind. I love her. Mum and dad went on holiday for a week. Geoff came round to visit and I made a meal with fish which was still frozen.

Friends
6 of us went out to the Radcliffe Arms to celebrate Ju's birthday. This month was filled with more friendship angst and serious talks and phone calls.

Shopping
I bought the dress from C&A

No comments:

Post a Comment